Healthier roast Turkey dinner with mashed roots and low calorie gravy
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Calories: 510kcal per serving
Steps: 5 and 6
- 2kg turkey crown on the bone
- 3 oranges - 1 cut into wedges, ½ sliced, 1 ½ juiced
- Handful thyme sprigs, leaves picked from one, two left whole, plus sprigs to serve
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 500g carrots, cut into long batons
- 500g parsnips, peeled and cut into long batons
- 500g green veg (of your choice)
- Salt and pepper
- 300g potatoes, cubed
- 300g swede, cubed
- 1 tbsp 0% fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- Handful dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1l low salt chicken stock
- 1tbsn Cornflour
For the turkey/roast veg:
For the mash:
For the gravy:
- Take the turkey out the fridge about 1-2 hours prior to cooking. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Juice one of the oranges, and cut 4 slices out of another, juicing the rest. Add the juice to a bowl along with the thyme leaves, soy sauce, and a good sprinkle of black pepper.
- Loosen the skin over the turkey breast and pop two slices of orange, a thyme spring a bay leaf, and some of the juice mix underneath. Smooth the skin back down.
- Pop the orange wedges in a large roasting tin along with the carrot and parsnip batons. Sit the turkey on the tray amongst the veg & oranges. Pour over about a third of the remaining orange juice mix & pop in the oven for 30 mins. Remove, give the veg a stir and add another third of the juice. Return to the oven for another 30 mins, and repeat.
- Whilst the turkey is roasting, cook the potatoes and swede in lightly salted boiling water for about 15 minutes until tender. Drain well and then mash with the yoghurt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once the turkey is cooked through, remove from the tin & place on a board covered with foil. Turn up the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 8. Season the veg with salt and pepper and put the tin back in the oven to caramelise the veg for 25-30 mins, leaving the turkey crown to rest..
- Remove the turkey from the roasting tin and place on a board covered with foil, then turn the oven up to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 8. Season the veg with salt and pepper and put the tin back in the oven to caramelise the veg for 25-30 mins, leaving the turkey crown to rest.
- Remove the sticky skin from the breast before carving the meat. For anyone on Plan, serve 170g of breast meat, 100g mash, 100g roasted veg.
- To make the gravy, spray a saucepan with 0kcal spray, add the onion and carrot, cooking at a med-high heat for 10-15 mins. Don’t worry if they brown on the edges! Stir in the dried mushrooms, and add the vinegar. Stir in the stock, simmering gently for around 20 mins.
- Remove from the heat and blitz the mixture with a hand blender to create a soup-like consistency. Then filter through a sieve into another pan, and bring back to a simmer. Slowly add the cornflour, stirring constantly until thickened. Serve immediately, chill, or freeze for later!