Chicken fajitas with mango sauce
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 10 Minutes
Calories: 400 kcal per serving
Steps: 3 and above
500g chicken breast fillets, cut into thin strips
juice of 1 lime
pinch of ground cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
2 red onions, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red chilli, finely diced
4 x 50g soft tortillas
8 tbsp 0% fat Greek yoghurt
salt and freshly ground black pepper
green salad to serve
1 large ripe mango, peeled, stoned and diced
16 ripe cherry tomatoes, diced
½ red onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli, diced
a handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
juice of ½ lime
Sizzling fajitas are easy to make and fun to eat. Everyone loves them and they’re great when you’re entertaining casually with family and friends. Red onions look attractive and add a hint of sweetness but if you don’t have any, use white ones instead.
- Put the chicken strips, lime juice and spices in a bowl. Give them a stir, then cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix together all the salsa ingredients in a bowl, then cover and set aside.
- Lightly spray a ridged griddle pan with oil and place it over a medium to high heat. When it’s really hot, add the chicken strips and cook, turning them frequently, for 5–8 minutes until cooked through, juicy and golden brown. Remove and keep warm.
- Add the red onions, peppers, garlic and chilli to the pan and cook, turning them occasionally, for 5–6 minutes until just tender and slightly charred. Remove, season with salt and pepper, and keep warm.
- Warm the tortillas in the griddle pan or a low oven and divide the cooked chicken and vegetables between them. Top each one with some salsa and a spoonful of yoghurt. Fold over or roll up tightly. Serve immediately with a crisp green salad.
Step it down…
You can eat the chicken and griddled vegetables, on Step 2 don’t use the tortilla wraps. Make the salsa, leaving out the mango, and top each portion with just one tablespoon of Greek yoghurt or virtually fat-free fromage frais.
Instead of chicken, cook 450g plain Quorn chicken style fillets in the same way. The calories and fat grams will stay the same.
See our recipe page for more delicious recipes to try.
For more information on the Steps Plan, please contact a Consultant, or our head office.